Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Homemade Fruit Fly Trap
- glass jar (so you can see if it is working)
- sheet of paper
- tape (any kind will do, I used freezer tape as it was closest to me)
- fly attracting fruit (I used bananas as they were my problem fruit)
1) Place the cut-up or mashed fruit into the jar (you want enough to attract the fruit flies but not enough that it touches the paper).
2) Roll sheet of paper into a funnel leaving a small pinhole sized opening and tape loose edge of paper down so that it does not unroll as soon as you place it in the jar (please learn from my mistakes).
3) Place funnel in jar and tape to jar (this will keep the fruit flies from accidentally escaping around your funnel).
4) Place trap in an area where fruit flies are a problem (if you have them in multiple rooms I recommend multiple traps). Leave the traps there until all flies are caught or until you have so many flies you need to empty your trap (go outside before emptying your trap).
5) Remove the item(s) that you find the fruit flies congregating around so that the traps are their only source of food. If you do not do this your trap is almost pointless!
6) Enjoy your fruit fly free home!